Tuesday 29 January 2013

Reader Question.

Q. Hi Way to Wed I don't know if you answer questions but I was wondering if you could offer some advice to me. My mother in law is absolute hell since my other half proposed and she keeps planning every part of our wedding without consulting me I just want to scream. What can I do to tell her to stop without putting a wedge between me and hubby!

A. This is a common situation where the two (generally) most important women in a man's life clash because one of them has known him his whole life, while the other still represents a very special part of his life. Unfortunately MIL (mother in laws) often overlook the fact that the bride is the entire reason for the wedding in the first place and can often step over the invisible boundary. The easiest way for everyone involved is to softly explain, on her next suggestion, that you really want your celebration to represent BOTH of you as a couple. Or perhaps try a subtle hint in a compliment like 'that's a great idea, though it doesn't really work with my vision of mine and insert-groomtobe-name-here wedding day.' You are best to approach as many smooth options as possible to deter the MILs suggestions before turning bridezilla and threatening to destroy the very reasons your man proposed in the first place (or you to him if you're a modern day woman.) The saying a happy wife is a happy life is really meant for the MILs.

Keep the MIL -reasonably- happy and you'll have smooth sailing with her son - but don't sacrifice yourselves in the process!!

No comments:

Post a Comment